The Wince Factor
So, I'm sitting here in the living room, catching up on your blogs on my laptop, while watching the Elizabeth I mini-series on HBO (yes, I love history). I had a post idea in mind, until I saw this:
Members of Elizabeth's council had her cousin, Mary Queen of Scots, executed (according to the movie, Elizabeth signed an edict approving of it, but then told the guy not to deliver it until she was ready, but the council got it anyway and acted accordingly).
What's so bad about this, you ask?
Well, they actually showed the ax swinging down...and not severing the head. It sliced the back of her neck open and they had to swing again to finish the job. This is one of the most inhumane ways to be executed, and I'm really not sure why they had to show it in such graphic detail.
This is just one of those images that kind of unnerves me when I see it and I'm sure I'll have this flash of this woman's gashed neck as I try to fall asleep at night. It won't cause a nightmare, once I can actually fall asleep, but it will perturb me until then.
This happens to me every once in a while and I'm curious if it has ever happened to you. Here are some of my other freaky moments:
Zelda and her voice from Poltergeist
Hannibal eating Ray Liotta's brain, while the latter is still alive (and talking, I might add)
The dead boy in Stand By Me
The pictures of the dead bodies in The Others (the expressions were just freaky to me)
The names Malachi and Isaac, along with long red-haired kids and boys dressed in Amish-looking clothes (Children of the Corn)
The gutted police officer hanging from the prison cage in Silence of the Lambs
Buffalo Bill dressing up as a woman, tucking his sack back and then posing in the mirror in Silence
Finding that cocoon in the back of that chick's throat in Silence
Hell, let's just add the rest of The Silence of the Lambs to the list
Watching the dead girl's body float in the water in What Lies Beneath
Jaws has Quint in the vice grip and just flings him back and forth like a chew toy
The Wicked Witch of the West disppearing in her fire bomb of red smoke (hey, I was six)
Marsellus Wallace getting raped by Zed in Pulp Fiction
Have any scenes like this ever bothered you longer than they should have?

<< Home