Sunday, November 14, 2004

About Me

1. I realize this is a pathetic "about me" format, but it's the best I could do for now, considering I don't know shit about coding.

2. I used to have a blog with my full real name, but too many people Googled me that didn't need to.

3. My mom grew up in the South and planned to call me Becky Jane. Fortunately, that never worked out or else I'm sure I would've changed it.

4. Yes, I was born on April Fool's Day and I've heard all the jokes. But, many people say they remember mine above others.

5. My girlfriends in high school and I had nicknames for each other. Mine was BJ, none of us realizing the consequences of that until they screamed it out in front of the boys' baseball team.

6. I was born in Kansas City, KS but moved around a lot as an Army brat. Spent the most years in Hawaii and went to all four years of high school here. I most recently left in Nov. 2005 and now live in Seattle.

7. Went to college at Texas Christian University in Ft. Worth, TX and majored in advertising. Went from being a Mule to a Horned Frog. What an odd combo of mascots.

8. A Buffalo Bills running back named Kenneth Davis was in a speech/elective class of mine. He was drafted before he graduated, played 10 years and then came back to finish the two classes he needed for his degree.

9. I was one of those activities people in both high school and college. Couldn't be busy enough.

10. I worked at a movie theatre in high school/college breaks and got friends in for free. I think I had more friends those years than any other time:)

11. I like to lead things because, quite frankly, I don't think most people do it very well.

12. However, I don't micro-manage.

13. I don't drink a lot b/c I really don't like very much of it. Beer has to be ice cold and then it warms up after three sips. I don't like wine or most liquors, so it has to be masked. I love amaretto sours.

14. I don't mind being the designated driver for the group.

15. I'm the oldest child and oldest grandchild on both sides.

16. Parents divorced when I was eight and both remarried within a couple years.

17. I have had three grandparents alive since I was three, though have never lived near them.

18. Outside the U.S., I've only been to Mexico, but I want to go to Europe and Australia/NZ so badly.

19. My fave U.S. city so far is San Francisco. I could eat Ghiradelli chocolate all day and just walk it off on those hills.

20. I have my MBA through a school called Webster University, which was kind of like the Univ. of Phoenix where they cater to evening students. I did the last half of it online.

21. I had better grades with the MBA than undergrad. I don't know if it's b/c that program graded easier or that I just "got" the business side better than the creative/advertising side.

22. I minored in political science.

23. I like historical things, whether it be sites, books, movies, etc. Anything WW2 and older. In particular, I love American History. I've been to D.C. twice and want to go back.

24. I cannot take standardized tests worth a crap. I think it's because I often see things differently or can rationalize how two answers are legitimately correct. Give me an essay any day.

25. I like plays and musicals a lot. I also love museums, though my visual art tastes lie with more concrete things versus abstract and modern.

26. I went to a ballet once in Fort Worth b/c my advertising class had them as a client. I hated it. I've heard that the Nutcracker is worth it, though.

27. I cannot sing worth a damn. I can tell when a person is really comfortable with me b/c they will literally ask me to "stop."

28. However, that does not stop me from screeching out my favorite 80s tunes.

29. I like to dance, but have no rhythm. At least I know not to bite down on my lower lip.

30. I'm a Diet Pepsi fanatic. I think that if I were cut, I would bleed out dark brown.

31. I also like iced tea, though sweetened with Sweet N Low. I even carry around my own packets b/c most places don't have it. I hate fruity iced teas.

32. I abhor peanut butter. It would be a serious debate between shit and peanut butter.

33. I don't like coffee or anything flavored with it. Like the smell, though. Wierd, huh?

34. My mother, after 30 years, can still not seem to remember some of my basic things that I won't eat/drink.

35. I'm a movie junkie, though primarily with more contemporary ones. I will see just about any genre, but that doesn't mean I think every movie is worth my time. I'm thinkI'm rather cool b/c I saw The Usual Suspects and Memento in the theatre. I'm using Netflix to catch up on classic oldies.

36. I don't get what is really so great about Citizen Kane. Please explain it to me.

37. I suffer from horrible road rage. I've been known to create new expletives when driving. I even had some friends talk about my swearing and the first comment is "have you ever driven with her?"

38. I have a sailor mouth, but will get to know you first to see if you're comfortable with the language.

39. My favorite is the f-bomb. It has such power and it's so succinct, don't you think?

40. My natural hair color is Diet Pepsi brown.

41. I drive a silver Nissan Murano.

42. I like to read a lot and, like movies, various types of books. Just kind of depends on my mood. I'm also a fast reader, being proud of reading the fourth Harry Potter (700 pages) in one day.

43. I learned to read when I was three.

44. I can do my ABCs backwards, ever since I was four. My mom always asked me to do it, even now, like I'm a Carnie.

45. I sleep in boxers and wife beater, usually. I like to be on the colder side and snuggle into my covers.

46. I was really good in math/science in school, but hated it. I took Pre-Algebra in 6th grade and was the only girl.

47. I was scared of horror movies when I was younger, but now they don't bother me at all. I'm usually snickering in the theatre when others are screaming.

48. Silence of the Lambs did scare the crap out of me because it could really happen.

49. I was married for four years in my 20s, having been divorced since June 2002. I hate saying it b/c others have a stigma about it, like they want to ask what I did wrong. Or, they assume I just walked out without trying.

50. I want to get married again, but must be the right person. Unfortunately, I think it took being married once to realize what is the best fit in terms of compatibility, values, priorities, etc.

51. I honestly don't know if I want kids, at all. I think I need to find the guy first and then go from there. It's not a deal-breaker by any means.

52. I have three nieces and two nephews that currently range from 13 years down to two years.

53. My goal is to be the "cool aunty," since I've never really been close to mine.

54. I'm much better at keeping in touch than most people. If I didn't initiate, I probably wouldn't talk to half the people I do. But as a result, I have someone I can mooch off of in most major cities.

55. I still talk to my oldest friend, whom I've known since I was 7, though I've only seen her four times since I was 8.

56. I suffer from migraines and have since I was 16. They come in sporadic bursts and I only take meds at the onset of them.

57. Although I'm shy in new groups, you can't shut me up once I know everyone. Because of that, I often come across as a snob, at first.

58. I'm actually just fine one-on-one if I've just met you.

59. People seem to reveal things to me fairly quickly. I think it's because I just listen?

60. My biggest pet peeve is being interrupted. The runner up is stupid drivers (go, figure).

61. I'm very punctual. If I'm running late, I'll call you, unless I know I'll still beat you.

62. I have an uncanny ability to remember details, even insignificant ones.

63. I know I can be anal about things, but that's just because I've already figured out the best way to do it:)

64. I'm not afraid to make decisions and am usually pretty thorough about it. The downside is that I tend to over-analyze everything. I do get wild hairs up my ass, though. Like, I wanted a Durango, so I just went down and got one.

65. As I've gotten older, I do think that I've become more open-minded about things and tolerant. For the most part, I don't really care what people do as long as they're not hurting me or others.

66. I side with Republicans on economic/military issues, but generally agree with Democrats on social.

67. One of the greatest compliments I ever received from someone was that I'm loyal -- to both people and my beliefs.

68. I was really never one for peer pressure. If I didn't want to do something, I just didn't and vice versa. One of my fave quotes is from Frost that said "Two roads diverged in the wood and I - I took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference."

69. I'm pretty straight-forward -- what you see (or read) is what you get. I know it can sometimes be to a fault, but I've really tried to work on that.

70. I'm not physically-affectionate with anyone but my significant other. I have a comfort zone that even my family can't get into. It's kind of a joke of "Becky, I'm going to hug you whether you like it or not."

71. I can't always verbalize what I'm feeling either, but my actions will indicate it.

72. I've always been known to be responsible and dependable. It often gets old, but I can never bring myself to not care, esp. if it lets someone else down.

73. I would be an excellent political candidate but could never get elected b/c I don't have that "sales-y" aura and ability to bullshit.

74. I started filling out at puberty and couldn't seem to stop. I've struggled with my weight since then. It doesn't help that I really don't care for most healthy foods.

75. I'm almost 5'8".

76. I have a complex about men who are shorter than me, even when wearing shoes.

77. If I won the lottery, I would pay off my family's mortgages, set up college funds, for the nieces/nephews, buy cars for everyone and then travel the world.

78. I have a particular fondness for movies that involve men with swords and bows. I love the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Gladiator, etc. Aragorn + Legolas = mi amores

79. You know how everyone has that list of five celebrities they would be with, if they could? Here's my current list: Brandon Lee (yes, dead people count), Orlando Bloom, George Clooney, Antonio Bandares, Johnny Depp.

80. If I went lesbian, here's my list: Salma Hayek, Ashley Judd, Natalie Portman, Marilyn Monroe, Diane Lane.

81. Sexual jokes, e-mails, etc. don't bother me at all, so feel free to forward -- as long as they're actually funny. I'm not easily offended by things, unless it's intended to hurt others.

82. I have a deep and unique voice that I think sound rather nasally. Won't take long to recognize me, though that doesn't always mean I'll recognize yours that fast.

83. Someone once told me that I have a hearty and contagious laugh, but only one person has said that, so I'm not sure if it's true.

84. I have two dogs named Reese and Kona (both boys). Reese is three and Kona is one, and Kona is a "special needs" dog as a result of an injury. It has tested my patience more than I ever thought.

85. I like thunder/lightening storms, but the tornadic storms I encountered in TX are scary as shit.

86. I'm most complimented on my smile, though men will usually also include the eyes and women notice my skin. I can tell a guy is really into me if he says something about that, too.

87. I can be competitive and I unleash it through board games, since I've got zilch in terms of athletic ability.

88. I bruise and scratch easily. If I run my nails down my arm, I'll look like a tiger clawed me 30 seconds later.

89. My skin is kind of a different tint of white, but I burn easily. I have freckles on my shoulders.

90. I like to pamper myself, but I do my own feet/toes usually.

91. I love to eat popcorn at the movies but don't need any butter poured on it.

92. You know you are special to me, if I have a special ringer on my cell for you.

93. I carry my stress in my shoulders. Even massage therapists say I'm tighter than most. My shoulders sound like bubble wrap.

94. I don't speak any other languages, but took Spanish in high school and college. I could at least get to the bathroom.

95. I seem to attract colds like flies on shit.

96. I literally could not breathe through my nose until I had my septum fixed when I was 26.

97. I suffer from restless leg movement when I sleep, so I will often wake myself up throughout the night.

98. I will often wake up and start having a kook-ass conversation with anyone nearby, not realizing I'm not still dreaming.

99. I have had dreams and conversations with people who have passed away. Oddly, it is quite comforting.

100. My favorite/signature color is red.

101. I've also been told that I give good advice, but that doesn't mean I can always think of it for my own issues.

102. I'm not afraid to ask questions if I don't know something.

103. I can arch my right eyebrow by itself and roll my tongue into a taco. That's about it for physical "tricks," unfortunately.

104. I like spicy foods, but not curry. On my pizza, I eat hamburger and jalapenos.

105. I eat meat medium rare.

106. You'll find my writing style is also pretty direct, and therefore, probably not as creative as other blogs. I don't know if it's because I'm like that naturally, or I was trained to write so that most could understand me (journalism degree). Did you know that newspapers are at written at the 6th grade level? Bit of trivia for ya.

107. I would rather park my car 10 stalls down than sit there and wait a while for people to pull out.

108. I rarely eat breakfast foods for breakfast. Usually it's a chicken burrito or English Muffin.

109. I don't cook extravant meals. I do make an excellent chicken katsu, which is a local dish that's like fried chicken but using japanese panko flakes. EVERYONE likes it, even my mom and she's Martha Stewart's incarnate.

110. I carry around a purse 'o shit. I have everything you could think of, including several OTC drugs and even dental floss. Trust me, it has helped to be able to relieve someone else from a headache so they're not a grump, or get that spinach out of their teeth so I don't have to stare at it for the rest of the night.

111. I love to sleep. I take naps all the time.

112. Especially because of #111, I hate it when people just show up at my door, unexpected.

113. Unfortunately, I wear my emotions on my sleeve but I still wouldn't consider myself revealing. You will definitely know what I'm feeling at that moment (good or bad), but that doesn't mean I'll tell you why.